Tuesday , June 22 2021

Battery Fires: The potential danger hiding in the kitchen drawer at Christmas and throughout the whole year



Having entered the Christmas decorations this year, Damien Morris had some spare batteries left and did what most people have – prepared in & # 39; measure for future use.

The loose batteries sparked fires that could destroy his Charlottetown, P.E.I., home.

Morris said he had no idea that batteries can pose this danger, and is sharing his story to warn others – with the experts say that such fires are most common perpetrators more Canadian.

The story continues below advertisement

The consequences of & # 39; & # 39 by fires started up batteries overheat at home drawer & # 39; Damien Morris.

Damien Morris / The Canadian Press

Health Canada says it has received more than 100 consumer report over the last year involving batteries – everything from overheating to starting fires.

"All kinds & # 39; & # 39 battery can; be a problem," said Andrew Hulan, security officer of product & # 39; Health Canada.

"The type of & # 39; battery, when it fails, we tend to see more problems with & # 39; ion lithium batteries. Just happens that the material which build Li-ion battery of lithium is responsive to air. If that battery is broken, it fails almost b & # 39; explosive way, "he said.

F & # 39; in July, the Association & # 39; Newfoundland and Labrador of & # 39; Fire Services issued warnings after being accused of two fires on lithium batteries.

One of the fires, which left homeless brother and sister in & # 39; John, was accused on batteries in & # 39; package of radio controlled toys.

Fortunately, fear & # 39; & # 39 fires; Morris & # 39; November 18 at & # 39; Charlottetown was not tragic.

"In 2: 30 & # 39; in the morning we heard our smoke going. Saturday and met the kids. My wife got up and said 'I smell something strange," said Morris.

The story continues below advertisement

They went on foot to discover the main floor of the house filled with smoke, with the worst smoke in the kitchen, which was emitted from a kitchen drawer.

"I opened the drawer and took it all in flames. I turned quickly. I grabbed the drawer and I met my wife to open the patio door and I'm far away," said Morris.

"The fire damage was not so bad. It was more harmful to smoke."

Morris said the crew & # 39; emergency came and fire marshal determined that size batteries & # 39; C & # 39; and & # 39; D & # 39; they were stored in drawers had opened fire.

"Both male batteries connected edges, creating heat energy and get caught Dish towels to catch on fire", he said.

Raynald Marchand, general manager of the Security Council of Canada, warns that problems can often occur when portable batteries near fabric and other fuels.

The story continues below advertisement

"It is important that when re & # 39; fill the batteries can be recharged to do it in & # 39; a safe place so not over, and preferably when charging them again at home," he said. "Computers are often large batteries are recharged while on a couch or bed and can produce a bit of & # 39; heat while being recharged."

He said that the batteries are lithium ion & # 39; particular concern because they pack a lot of energy and contacts or terminals often on one side.

"If you take a battery for a laptop or camera, all terminals are on one side, so if those terminals are connected, ie, wet towel or something else is more problematic," said Marchand.

Hulan said the main cause of the problems is people who do not follow the instructions that come with the batteries, particularly when it comes to move the products.

"The batteries are designed to be charged with a current and specific voltage. If you use a charger that is rated for your battery, then increase the likelihood of & # 39; overheating and damage to that battery," said Hulan.

Both Marchand and Hulan say that the batteries must be stored securely in their original container, or in & # 39; other non-conductive packaging to prevent shortened.

The story continues below advertisement

And they say that the spent batteries should be taken in & # 39; center & # 39; proper recycling and never put in the garbage or in & # 39; fire.

Hulan also warns against improper storage of small batteries, "buttons" of & # 39; common style in watches, greeting cards, and some toys and LED lights.

He said that the Canada Health investigated a number of & # 39; cases where young children got small batteries and joqogħduhom.

"That battery can & # 39; actually come from the esophagus, their windskraft or stomach, leading to many serious injuries and potentially fatal", he said.

Hulan said anyone experiencing matter & # 39; battery believe that endanger has jirrapportaha to Health Canada.

Morris said he is just glad he was home when the fire started – or their house may have been destroyed.

He says with the holiday season upon us, and increased use of battery, it is hoped that more people listen to warnings about battery safety.


Source link